Sunday, March 8, 2009

serger or overlock machine


This is my serging area located in my kitchen. I never get lonely in this work space, since their are people passing by quite often.
A serger is a machine that creates the finished seam you see on the seams of ready made garments and other fabric items. Some projects can be done 100% on a serger, however a serger can not replace a regular sewing machine. You cannot do top stitching, button holes or zippers on a serger. The job of a serger is to trim the seam and enclose the seam allowance or edge of the fabric, inside a thread casing, all in one step.
A sewing machine is one of the largest investments you will make in your sewing endeavor. Making an informed decision will allow you to buy a machine to meet your needs. Carefully think about how much you are honestly going to use the machine. Make sure the machine is designed for how and what you want to sew. You don't need a sewing/embroidery machine if you are not going to do a lot of embroidery.
Should you shop on line or buy from a local dealer? I found buying from a local dealer helpful. A local dealer is just a phone call away, or you may drop by with any sewing machine issues you have. Classes are usually offered with your purchase. Many will take the machines they sell as trade-in's giving you the opportunity to upgrade your machine. You may want more sewing options or decide you can afford a higher quality model. Dealers are aware of improvements and recalls. Most have their own repair shop, or someone they send machines to for a tune-up, cleaning or repair.
Be sure to do your research and talk with others about your sewing plans. It's easy to be convinced you will use every feature offered and end up in debt, regretting your decision. I spent over $4,000.00 on my sewing/embroidery machine. I did my research and used a local dealer. I found it scary spending that much on a sewing machine, but I'm glad I did since it meets all of my needs. You can spend more or you can spend less on a machine, depending on your budget and the features you are looking for.

No comments: