Saturday, March 28, 2009

Parakeets or Budgies

Parakeets are a large group of small parrots.  The real name for this type of bird is Budgerigar or (budgie).

Our bird Sunny is finger tame.  She on occasion will bite the children if not handled for quite some time, but not me.  I am the hand that feeds her.  She can be quite messy with her seed, but I feel that is a small price to pay for the joy and entertainment she brings us.  Sunny does not start her chatting until there is action going on around her.  Therefore I do not feel the need to cover her cage a night.  She has a bell she likes to ring and does acrobatic antics at times.  When I turn her loose in the house Sunny has no problem putting herself back in her cage.  It’s a good idea to keep a good eye on your budgie when out of their cage, as they could be stepped on, or the small dog might want to snatch her up as a play toy.

I have been told, if you want your bird to pay attention to you, don’t give them a mirror.  They will fall in love with the mirror thinking it is another bird. However,I am one of those pet owners guilty of giving my bird a mirror.  It entertains her when no one is paying attention to her.  I also place her where she has a view of the television so she is not lonely.  To sum it all up, budgies are a low maintained pet that will not take up much space and can be quite entertaining.

No comments: